( View Printable )
Division: Public Safety
Classification: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8481
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|Vice President for Finance and Administration||Campus Public Safety|
The purpose of this policy is to inform university employees about how and when decisions will be made to open/close campus in the event severe weather conditions require a decision to close campus or delay classes or other operations.
|WOU faculty, staff, and students|
DAS Policy 60.015.01:
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
Campus Closed: Campus is closed for business and classes cancelled.
Campus Open/Classes Cancelled: Campus will remain open because conditions in Monmouth are minimally impacted by weather conditions while conditions in commuter areas are more severe.
Essential Employee: Employees designated by position description to report to work in the event of campus closure to maintain minimum levels of service. Essential employee names must be on file in the Human Resources Office.
Opening Delayed: Campus will be opened for business/classes after a brief delay. This is generally when reports suggest that conditions will improve within a brief period of time.
It is the policy of Western Oregon University to remain open unless it is determined that safety is compromised by adverse conditions or lack of utility services. In certain circumstances, essential facilities such as the Library, University Center, University Residences, Valsetz Dining Hall, Computer Lab, and the Health and Wellness Center will be open even though classes are cancelled.
If the campus remains open but faculty are unable to hold classes due to their inability to travel to Monmouth, they will notify the office of their division chair. The deans' offices will maintain a master list of cancelled classes. Information about this list of cancelled classes can be obtained by calling the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at 838-8226 or the College of Education at 838-8471. Generally a closure decision will be made by 5:30 a.m.
Notification of campus and/or class offerings will be by telephone recording, WOU Web page information and public announcement to the local news media. Campus closure/cancellation information may be accessed by calling the Campus Closure Line at 838-8026.
1. Generally a campus closure decision will be made by 5:30 a.m. daily.
2. Beginning at 4:15 a.m., the university administration will begin to assess local and regional conditions with Campus Public Safety, Oregon State Police, Oregon Department of Transportation and local Polk County road department to determine the following:
a) Open campus with classes open or cancelled
b) Delay opening for a designated period
c) Close campus
3. The Public Relations Director will be notified and will contact the following regional radio stations: KBZY 1490 AM and KYKN 1430 AM (Salem); KLOO 1340 AM and KFLY 1240 AM (Corvallis); KLYC 1260 AM (McMinnville); KXL 750 AM, 95.5 FM and KINK 101.9 AM (Portland); KRKT 990 AM, 99.9 FM and KSHO 920 AM (Albany). University employees are requested to listen to one of these stations for updated information.
4. Physical Plant employees will begin de-icing, snow removal, etc., no later than 5:00 a.m. daily.
5. Because conditions will vary considerably within the region, each employee must individually assess his/her unique situation and determine if he/she can safely travel/report to work. Employees not reporting to work in accordance with their work schedule due to inclement weather will report their absence according to the terms of the appropriate labor contract or Conditions of Employment.
Occasionally, the governor will declare an emergency and close all state offices immediately. In this event, those employees who reported to work will be paid for the entire work day.
6. If inclement weather affects scheduled events such as athletics, theater, library hours, university center hours or related activities, department heads may contact the university switchboard at 838-8000 and the Office of Public Relations at 838- 8208. The campus information recording will be updated to reflect cancellation, delays, etc., (E-mail and audix system may also be used), and the appropriate media will be notified.
7. The Campus Public Safety office is open 24 hours. If you have an emergency, or need additional information or assistance, you may contact them at 838-8481 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or 503-932-3419 at other times.
8. It is the responsibility of each employee to call the Campus Closure Line (503-838-8026) or listen to one of the radio stations outlined above, to receive closure or opening information. Because conditions may vary considerably within the region, each employee must assess his or her unique situation and determine travel safety from their location to campus.
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
EFFECTIVE DATE: 11/01/1990
LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2016
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
SOURCE: Previously Referred to as: PRE-FA-002
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|
|Inclement Weather, weather conditions, campus closure|