( View Printable )
Division: Academic Programs
Classification: ACADEMIC & STUDENT AFFAIRS
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8271
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Academic Program Review|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|Provost & VP for Academic Affairs||Provost's Office|
All WOU academic programs engage in periodic academic program review.
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
Rationale: WOU is a teaching and learning institution. Academic program review drives continuous improvement through (1) critical evaluation of current activities ( e.g., self-study), (2) identification of specific strengths and areas for improvement, and (3) program-level strategic planning that aligns programs and resource allocation with the university mission and strategic plan. While required by NWCCU, academic program review is, first and foremost, for the benefit ofWOU programs and the students we serve, ensuring that we engage in systematic inquiry into the effectiveness of our academic programs and use findings to improve.
Scope: All academic programs are subject to Academic Program Review. Academic programs include majors, minors, certificates and all general education options at the graduate and undergraduate levels as well as academic support services ( e.g., AALC, Math Center, Writing Center). For accredited programs, Academic Program Review will be aligned with and supp ement the accreditation cycle but not supplanted by it.
Frequency of Review: Academic programs will be reviewed at least once every seven years. The schedule for Academic Program Review is to be posted on the Provost's website.
Dissemination of self-study and review: The self-study and review will be made available to the program, dean and provost, and to other authorized personnel (e.g., NWCCU). An executive summary of the program review and action plans will be posted on the Academic Effectiveness website.
• The Provost's Office will support Academic Program Review through consultations, workshops and guidelines relateo to self-study, progra review procedures and action plans.
• The Provost will, in consultation with the ac demic dean and program leader, appoint the ad hoc review committ-ee.
• The Program Leader (i.e., Department.Head, Division Chair, Program Coordinator, as appropriate) will consult ith program faculty to prepare the program self-study, per guidelines provided by the P ovost's Office.
• Institutional Research will provide program level data, as specified in the program review guidelines, for inclu ion in the self-study.
• The program leader, program faculty and academic dean will use the review results to create an action plan for program improvement and provide annual updates on progress through regular annual program reporting.
External Reviewers: The review committee may include one or more reviewers external to WO U. Reviewers may be recommended by the program or dean. The Provost may appoint recommended reviewers or other qualified reviewers.
Additional guidance/plans may be found in: (1) Self-Study, (2) Schedule of Review Activities, (3) Guidance Regarding the Review Committee, and (4) Academic Program Review Clusters (of Programs).
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
APPROVAL DATE: 08/11/2017
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/11/2017
LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2017
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
Consultation: Faculty Senate (1/24/17; 2/14/17), COE Division Chairs (2/7 /17), CLAS Division Chairs (2/7 /17); faculty and/or department heads/program coordinators in Winter and Spring 2017 department-level meetings about Academic Effectiveness activities.
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|