Type: University Policy
Division: Contracting & Purchasing

Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8201
Contact Email Address: BusinessOffice@wou.edu

Vice President for Finance and Administration The Business Office

Along with WOU's internal purchasing policies, WOU intends to follow the purchasing policies set by OUS as outlined in OUS' Fiscal Policy Manual and purchasing policies set by the State of Oregon which are applicable to the Oregon University System as outlined in Divisions 60, 61, 62, and 63 of the Oregon Administrative Rules.  WOU strives to seek competition and the lowest prices within the parameters of quality and delivery.   

• When practical, consideration should be given to minority, women, and emerging small businesses.  

• To avoid conflict of interest issues, WOU does not purchase goods or services from its employees as a matter of policy.  Exceptions must be approved by the Director of Business Services.   

• To avoid actual or perceived personal gain related to employment, WOU employees should not purchase goods or services from their family members or their family member’s businesses with institutional funds. 

• WOU does not allow purchases of used goods unless an exception is approved by the Director of Business Services. 

WOU employees involved in making purchases.

OUS Financial Administration Standards Operating Manual, Section 13:


Fiscal Policy Manual, Section 70:




The Western Oregon University Business Office provides campus with general and specific purchasing policies to complement the OUS and State of Oregon purchasing policies.  The specific areas covered in this policy are: 



Code of Ethics 

Purchase Order Requirement 

Purchasing Approval 

W-9 Requirement for All Vendors 

Competitive Procedures Exemptions 

Sole Source Procurement 

Special Entity Procurement 

Direct Procurement-Purchases Less than $5,000 

Competitive Process for Purchases of $5,000 to $25,000-Three Quote Solicitation 

Competitive Process for Purchases of $25,000.01 to $100,000-Informal  


Competitive Process for Purchases over $100,000-Formal Procurement 

RFP’s for CM/GC and Design/Build Construction Projects 

Retainers – Capital Construction Projects 




Agency Funds 

Computer Hardware and Software 


Employee Break Rooms 

Employee Recognition Awards 

ENERGY STAR Appliances 

Fixed Assets 

Interdepartmental Charges  

Inter-Institutional Charges 

Lease Agreements 


Memberships and Dues 

Non-Travel Meals, Refreshments and Hospitality Expenses 

OfficeMax Office Supplies Purchasing Program 

Personal Funds Reimbursements 

Personal Services Contracts 

Petty Cash Funds 

Price Agreements 

Prizes and Awards 








Code of Ethics:

All WOU employees who engage in contracting, purchasing, or are involved in the vendor selection process of any goods or services must review and sign the WOU Code of Ethics document on an annual basis.  The signed statements will be kept on file in the Business Office.  

Purchase Order Requirement: 

WOU requires that a purchase order be entered into Banner FIS and be fully approved PRIOR to any commitment to purchase goods/services.  Exception to this requirement: 

• Procurement Card Purchases 

• OfficeMax Direct Bill System 

• Purchases from WOU Departments 

• Purchases from other OUS Institutions 

Purchases orders along with their relevant invoices are electronically routed through Banner FIS approval queues.  Approval routing for purchase order queues includes at least one departmental approval level and a final level for the centralized Business Office Purchasing Agent approval.  Invoices referencing a purchase order are routed directly to the centralized Business Office Purchasing Agent for approval.   

Invoices may be entered into Banner FIS without referencing a purchase order for the above four exceptions and when deemed necessary by the centralized Business Office.  These ‘Direct Pay’ invoices’ approval queues will route the same as the purchase order queues. 

There are additional levels of approvals required for all purchase orders and invoices involving fixed assets or memberships. 

The Business Office Purchasing Agent has authority to give final approval on purchases up to $24,999.  A few departments have been delegated purchasing authority equivalent to the Business Office Purchasing Agent’s authority.  The Director of Business Services approval is required for all purchases of $25,000 or more and this approval is obtained electronically in Banner FIS. 

Purchasing Approval:

Approvals of purchases are obtained electronically through Banner FIS. The approval queues are set up for each department by their organization code. The minimum requirement for approvals is one person at the departmental level and final approval by the Business Office. Departments may choose to have more than one level within their department.  A person who approves for the department should not be the person inputting the transaction into Banner FIS. Fixed Assets require an additional approval by the WOU Property Control Specialist. This approval level is between the departmental and Business Office approval levels.  Membership and Dues require additional approvals by the appropriate President's staff member and the membership representative of the Business Office.  These approval levels are between the departmental and Business Office approval levels. 

W-9 Requirement for all Vendors:

For accurate IRS reporting, any vendor or contractor receiving payment from WOU through the accounts payable system must have a completed IRS W-9 Request for Taxpayer 

Identification and Certification Form on file in the Business Office.  The W-9 form is available at http://www.wou.edu/wou/forms/.  

Competitive Procedures Exemptions: 

Departments need not follow, regardless of value, the requirements of the competitive procedures described for the following types of purchases:  

• Contracts for the provision of educational services. 

• Brand name goods and services or product prequalification. Institutions may specify brand name in the procurement of goods and services if that particular product or service has specific documental attributes not found in other products. In addition, when specific design or performance specifications must be met for a product to be purchased, an institution may specify a list of qualified products by reference to the prequalified product(s) of particular manufacturers or sellers. 

• Advertising and media services contracts. 

• Price-regulated goods and services. Institutions may, regardless of dollar value, contract for the direct purchase of goods or services where the rate or price for the goods or services being purchased is established by federal, state, or local regulatory authority.  

• Purchases under federal contracts. When the price of goods and services has been established by a contract with an agency of the federal government pursuant to a federal contract award, OUS and its institutions may purchase the goods and services in accordance with the federal contract without subsequent competitive bidding. In addition, specific equipment that is expressly required under the terms of the contract and that is only available from one source is exempt from competitive procedures. 

• Copyrighted materials. Institutions may purchase copyrighted materials without competitive bid and regardless of dollar amount. Copyrighted materials covered by this exemption may include, but are not limited to, textbooks, workbooks, curriculum kits, reference materials, and audio, visual, and electronic media. 

• Investment contracts. 

• Food contracts. This exemption shall apply exclusively to the procurement of food and food-related products. 

• Periodicals, library books, and library materials. 

• Maintenance services for the useful life of goods. Institutions may purchase maintenance services for the useful life of goods directly from the vendor of those goods. 

• Used personal property (valuation must be substantiated and purchase must be approved by the Director of Business Services). 

• Goods purchased for resale to outside entities. 

• Intercollegiate athletic programs. OUS and its respective institutions may specify a product by brand name or make or the products of particular manufacturers or sellers when procuring equipment and supplies used in intercollegiate or interscholastic athletic programs.  

• Athletic contest agreements. 

• Cadaveric organs. 

• Hotel sites for large conferences and workshops. 

• Dues, registrations, and membership fees. 

• Gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, lubricants, natural gas, and electricity. 

• Purchases of supplies, maintenance, and services for ocean-going vessels when they are in other than homeport. 

• Equipment repair and overhaul. 

• Goods and services purchased in foreign countries. 

• Grants 

• Contracts for professional or expert witnesses or consultants to provide services or testimony relating to existing or potential litigation or legal matters. 

• Services provided by the medical community including, but not limited to, doctors, physicians, psychologists, nurses, and veterinarians. 

• Artists, performers, photographers, graphic designers, website design, and speakers. 

• Sponsorship agreements for WOU events or facilities. 

Exemptions from competitive procedures may be granted for a particular contract or contracts not otherwise exempted under these rules by the president or chief financial officer of the institution. Sufficient documentation must be retained regarding the need for such exemptions. 

Sole Source Procurement :

The sole source process may be used for purchases of $5,000 or more when the President, the Chancellor, the Executive Vice President of Finance & Administration, or the Director of Business Services makes a written determination that due to special needs or qualifications, only a Single Seller is reasonably available to provide the personal or professional services or goods or services.  If a sole source procurement purchase is $25,000 or greater, then the procurement must be published on the OUS website to allow for protest.  Sole source procurement will be avoided except when no reasonably available alternative source exists.  Refer to OAR 580-062-0020, Section (8) for more information.  Purchase Orders for sole source purchases must include the Sole Source Process Information text clause. The Business Office will maintain a documentation file for approved sole source purchases. 

Special Entity Procurement:  

Contracts may be entered into without using the Three Quote Solicitation, Informal Procurement, or Formal Procurement processes when the contracting entity is a federal, state, or local governmental agency, or a state Qualified Rehabilitation Facility certified by the Oregon Department of Human Services or the Oregon State Procurement Office. Institutions may participate in cooperative procurements with other contracting agencies if it is determined, in writing that the solicitation and award process for the contract is substantially equivalent to the respective process established in these rules. 

Direct Procurement – Purchases less than $5,000:

For purchases less than $5,000, WOU may negotiate directly with a single entity to provide personal or professional services or goods and services. Departments are encouraged to consider MWESB vendors in their purchasing decisions. Information on Certified MWESB vendors is available on the Oregon Business Development Department’s website.   

Competitive Process for Purchases of $5,000 to $25,000 – Three Quote Solicitation:

The Three Quote Solicitation process may be used for all purchases of supplies, equipment, and services where the estimated cost is $5,000 to $25,000 and where a department chooses not to follow the Informal or Formal Procurement processes. 

The Three Quote Solicitation process is accomplished through the solicitation of competitive quotes from at least three vendors.  Solicitation may be accomplished by advertisement and/or a department initiating a request to vendors to make an offer.  Written, oral, or electronic quotes may be solicited.   

When procuring goods or services through the solicitation process, information regarding vendors contacted, basis for selection, prices of various vendors, and other information pertinent to the solicitation must be clearly documented.  If three vendors are not reasonably available, the justification for soliciting fewer vendors shall be documented.   Purchase Orders for purchases over $5,000 must include the Bid and Quote Information text clause.   

Departments are encouraged to consider MWESB vendors in their purchasing decisions. Information on Certified MWESB vendors is available on the Oregon Business Development Department’s website.   

Multiple contracts or purchase orders will not be issued separately with the intent to circumvent this competitive process.   

Competitive Process for Purchases of $25,000.01 to $100,000 – Informal Procurement:

The Informal Procurement process may be used for all purchases of supplies, equipment, and services where the estimated cost exceeds $25,000 but does not exceed $100,000, and where a department chooses not to follow the Formal Procurement process.  The Informal Procurement process may also be used for any procurement regardless of the estimated cost if use of the Informal Procurement process will not interfere with competition among prospective contractors, reduce the quality of services, or increase costs. 

The Informal Procurement process is accomplished by WOU posting an advertisement of the opportunity on the OUS procurement website for a reasonable time necessary to obtain at least three bids or proposals. WOU may also directly contact prospective bidders or proposers. If the notice has been posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days and fewer than three bids or proposals have been submitted, WOU may enter into a contract with a responsible bidder or proposer based on the specifications contained in the solicitation document.  Institutional departments should contact the WOU Business Office’s Purchasing Agent for advertisement posting.  Purchase Orders for purchases over $5,000 must include both the Bid and Quote Information and the MWESB text clauses.   

All Informal Procurements require the following Solicitation Effort to at least one (1) certified MWESB firm: 

1. Institutions shall contact one Certified MWESB, if available, by appropriate means (letter, fax, e-mail or telephone) to alert them of the contracting opportunity and provide them reasonable notice to respond. Information on Certified MWESB vendors is available on the Oregon Business Development Department’s website.   

2. If no Certified MWESBs are available for the applicable solicitation, Self-identified MWESBs or firms certified by a state, the federal government or other entities, as available, may be used to satisfy the requirements of this section. 

Multiple contracts or purchase orders will not be issued separately with the intent to circumvent this competitive process.   

Competitive Process for Purchases over $100,000 – Formal Procurement: 

The Formal Procurement process shall be used, unless other exemptions apply, for all purchases of supplies, equipment, and services where the estimated cost is $100,000 or more.    

The Formal Procurement process may be accomplished in either of two ways: 

1) Invitation to Bid, where WOU: 

a) Creates a solicitation document that contains the procurement procedures and necessary specifications;  

b) Publishes a notice of the procurement on the OUS procurement website and, if beneficial to the procurement, in a trade periodical, newspaper of general circulation, or other minority, women, and emerging small business targeted periodicals, institutional website, or other medium for advertising. The notice must specify when and where the Solicitation Document may be obtained and the Closing Date/Time. The notice must be published for a duration reasonable under the circumstances for the procurement;  

c) Conducts the procurement in accordance with OAR Chapter 580, Division 61; and  

d) Executes the OUS Conflict of Interest Statement before any person may participate in the evaluation or selection of a contractor or vendor under the formal procurement process. 

2) Request for Proposal (RFP); the formal Request for Proposal process shall follow the same guidelines as the Formal Procurement process’ Invitation to Bid except that the specifications and price will not necessarily be the predominant award criteria.  The award criteria shall be detailed in the RFP.   

All Formal Procurements require the following Solicitation Effort to at least one (1) certified MWESB firm: 

1. Institutions shall contact one Certified MWESB, if available, by appropriate means (letter, fax, e-mail or telephone) to alert them of the contracting opportunity and provide them reasonable notice to respond. Information on Certified MWESB vendors is available on the Oregon Business Development Department’s website.   

2. If no Certified MWESBs are available for the applicable solicitation, Self-identified MWESBs or firms certified by a state, the federal government or other entities, as available, may be used to satisfy the requirements of this section. 

Multiple contracts or purchase orders will not be issued separately with the intent to circumvent this competitive process.  Purchase Orders for purchases over $5,000 must include both the Bid and Quote Information and the MWESB text clauses.   

Capital Construction Contracting:

The rule and procedures set forth in OAR Chapter 580, Division 63 and summarized in OUS FPM Section 70.500 must be followed when WOU seeks to erect, improve, repair, maintain, equip, and furnish buildings and structures under the control of the Board.    

RFP’s for CM/GC and Design/Build Construction Projects: 

All RFPs for capital construction projects and associated professional consultants utilizing CM/GC (Construction Manager/General Contractor) or Design/Build processes shall include a Management Plan by the proposer as part of the evaluation criteria. At least ten percent (10%) of the total points allocated for evaluation shall be allocated to the Management Plan.  A Management Plan is a plan to increase the diversity of a business’ workforce and to subcontract with or purchase from Historically Underrepresented Businesses.  

Retainers – OUS Retainer Contract Program: 

When utilizing the OUS Retainer Contract Program as outlined in OUS Fiscal Policy Manual Section 70.500, projects with an anticipated contract price between $5,000 and the defined OUS procurement thresholds defined in 70.500.415 and 70.500.420 require a minimum of two bids or proposals from Professional Consultants or Contractors that have entered into Retainer Contracts. 

All contracts awarded under the OUS Retainer Contract Program for Construction-Related Services with a contract value greater than $50,000 require the Solicitation Effort listed below to at least two (2) Historically Underrepresented Businesses. 

All contracts awarded under the OUS Retainer Contract Program for Professional Consultants with a contract value greater than $100,000 require the Solicitation Effort listed below to at least two (2) Historically Underrepresented Businesses professional consultants. 

Information on Certified MWESB vendors is available on the Oregon Business Development Department’s website.   

1. Contacting at least two (2) Historically Underrepresented Businesses, if available, individually by appropriate means (letter, fax, e-mail or telephone) to alert them of the contracting opportunity; and 

2. Providing the Historically Underrepresented Businesses the same amount of time to respond to the proposal as non-Historically Underrepresented Businesses; and  

3. If the Institution solicits bids without posting an RFP on the OUS website, posting the names of the contractors that the Institution has chosen to submit bids on the OUS Business Opportunity Capital Construction Subcontracting Opportunities website so that Historically Underrepresented Businesses can contact them to provide their services as subcontractors or suppliers; OR  

4. If a significant portion of the Contract will be subcontracted to other businesses, per the determination of the Institution, the inclusion of a Management Plan as part of the evaluation criteria. The evaluation of the Management Plan must represent at least ten percent (10%) of the total points allocated for evaluation.  

MWESB Outreach Efforts and Annual Reporting:

The WOU Business Office and Planning Department attend various MWESB vendor fairs throughout the year and their collaborative efforts are listed in the annual MWESB Purchasing and Contract Report.  The Business Office prepares the goods and services section of the annual report and the Planning Department prepares the capital construction. 




For advertising placed in non-WOU publications, a copy of the advertisement substantiating ad content and publication date must be submitted to the Business Office with the vendor’s invoice.   

Agency Funds: 

Clubs, groups, and organizations who are affiliated with Western Oregon University but do not receive funds from WOU (including incidental fees) should establish an Agency Fund with the Business Office.  Contact the Director of Business Affairs to setup a new fund.  The Business Office will create the appropriate FIS Fund and Index and will act as a third party fiduciary for these funds.  

The club/organization advisor must complete a Student Agency Accounts Signature Form and return it to the Business Office.  The Business Office will mail a copy of the signature form each fall term to the advisor for annual review. Once the fund is established, monies should be deposited at the Business Office Cashiers.  

A Student Agency Fund Activity Request for Funds must be submitted to the Business Office for withdrawal of funds.  If the funds request is to pay an outside vendor, a W-9 must be on file in the WOU Accounts Payable Office for the vendor.  If the purpose of the funds request includes prizes and/or awards, a list of recipients (including SSN and address) and award values is required. 

Except as noted in this section, agency funds are not required to follow WOU purchasing policies.  No WOU club/organization should deposit money into a local bank. 

Computer Hardware and Software:

Purchases of classroom support equipment including projectors, DVD/Blu-ray players/recorders, video cameras, digital cameras, projector screens, document cameras, touch panel controls, TVs, video monitors, video conferencing systems, sound reinforcement equipment, printers, scanners, computing equipment including tablets, laptops, desktops, servers, disk storage, software, and any peripheral device which will be attached to a University computer or whose software will be loaded onto a University computer (with the exception of supplies such as toner, removable disk media, and flash memory) require a University Computing Services (UCS) Purchase Request be approved prior to the purchase. Using the Purchase Request System at www.wou.edu/purchaserequest, the purchase request must be submitted by the individual department.  The department making the purchase should complete the request and the request will electronically route to the appropriate departmental and UCS personnel for approval.  Once the request has been approved, the UCS office will process a purchase order in Banner FIS for the purchase. The following types of information must be provided on the purchase request: 

• Employee and Department Responsible for the Purchase 

• Brief Description of Item being Purchased 

• Expected Uses and Benefits 

• Cost and Source of Funds 

• Location of Item 

• Denial Effect and Other Quotes 

Note that purchases, rentals, or leases of copiers do not require submission of a UCS purchase request.  However, if a department wishes to utilize any network functionality available with a copier, they should schedule a consult with UCS prior to leasing or purchasing.  


Decorations and Flowers are not ordinarily considered an allowable expenditure. Some purchases are considered acceptable but must be documented with the reason.  Examples of acceptable decoration and flower purchases are:  use in Biology classes, commencements and convocations, and Student Activities’ sponsored functions (charged to IFC and University Residences student activity funds).  Décor and plants for public lobby or reception areas are also allowed.   

Employee Break Rooms:

WOU supports one employee break room per campus building.  Support includes a dedicated space, reasonable equipment for the room such as appliances, and maintenance of the space.  Consumable supplies should not be paid with university funds.      

Employee Recognition Awards:

Departments may wish to honor employees for outstanding achievements, length of service, or on retirement.  However, it is inappropriate to expend institutional funds for these purposes.  Departments may pursue other funding (e.g., Foundation) for such activities. 

ENERGY STAR Appliances:

When consistent with the needs and requirements of the WOU community, ENERGY STAR certified products should be purchased in all areas for which such ratings exist. ENERGY STAR certification is awarded to products meeting the following standards: 

• Product categories must contribute significant energy savings nationwide. 

• Qualified products must deliver the features and performance demanded by consumers, in addition to increased energy efficiency. 

• If the qualified product costs more than a conventional, less-efficient counterpart, purchases will recover their investment in increased energy efficiency through utility bill savings, within a reasonable period of time. 

• Energy efficient can be achieved through broadly available, non-proprietary technologies offered by more than one manufacturer. 

• Product energy consumption and performance can be measured and verified with testing. 

• Labeling effectively differentiates products and is visible for purchasers.

Fixed Assets:

WOU maintains a perpetual inventory of fixed assets owned or controlled by WOU.  Therefore, purchases, disposal, and trade-ins of fixed assets must be approved by WOU's Property Control Specialist.  Purchase approval is obtained electronically when the purchase is processed through Banner FIS.  Departments must contact WOU’s Property Control Specialist when considering the disposal or trade-in of a fixed asset. 

Fixed Assets are also referred to as Non-expendable Personal Property and are defined as: 

a) Tangible personal property owned, leased, controlled or possessed by an 

Institution that satisfies three criteria: 

      1) It is not consumed in the normal course of business. 

      2) It has a unit value of $5,000 or more. 

      3) Its useful life exceeds one year. 

b) Books, periodicals and reference materials -- regardless of value -- in an established reference library or audio-visual department.  

Purchased, gifted, loaned, or leased non-expendable personal property should be added to the fixed assets inventory when acquired.  Departments must provide the WOU Property Control Specialist documentation detailing the asset(s) acquisition.  At a minimum, this documentation should include a copy of the original purchase order or other agreement, a copy of the vendor invoice(s), and any related journal voucher. Purchases are coded to a fixed asset account code and processed through Banner FIS.  Fixed assets purchased on non-proprietary funds must be coded to a 40xxx account code and fixed assets purchased on proprietary funds must be coded to an A80xx account code.  

Real property assets such as land, buildings, and improvements other than buildings are added to the inventory on a yearly basis.  The Business Office and Physical Plant analyze the applicable expenses for each fiscal year to determine the asset records to add. 

WOU's Property Control Specialist distributes a listing of all assets held in the Fixed Asset inventory every other year to the responsible departments for their review. 

Interdepartmental Charges:

Interdepartmental charges are charges between WOU departments.  These charges are billed via an Interdepartmental Journal Voucher (JV).  Campus departments who provide goods or services as a normal part of their operations such as the Bookstore and University Computing Resale, can process these JVs.  Departments can buy from these sources directly and the department making the sale will process the charge through the Banner FIS Journal Voucher (JV) system.  Some of these departments have specific r equirements for interdepartmental charges: 

• Food Services: To obtain a departmental food services charge card, an employee must submit a WOU Departmental Food Service Card Agreement form.   

• Bookstore:  In order to charge purchases at the bookstore to a departmental index, a WOU Bookstore Departmental Charge Authorization form must accompany the purchase. 

• University Computing Resale:   See requirements in “Computer Hardware and Software” section of this policy. 

Interinstitutional Charges:

Interinstitutional charges are charges between OUS (Oregon University System) institutions. These charges are billed by the institution providing the good or service via an Interinstitutional Journal Voucher (JV).  These JVs are processed and/or received centrally at WOU by the Business Office.  Interinstitutional JV forms are available at www.wou.edu/forms and should be submitted to the Business Office.   

Lease Agreements:

All lease agreements must comply with OUS Fiscal Policy Manual Section 05.281.  All lease agreements must be signed by WOU’s Contract Officer, Director of Business Services, or Vice President for Finance and Administration. When entering into any lease, departments should compare th e costs associated with leasing and the costs of an outright purchase (including maintenance costs).  Leases placed through a State of Oregon Price Agreement do not require signed lease agreements. All Purchase Orders for leases must include the Equipment Lease text clause.  


OUS Fiscal Policy Manual, Section 70.400.150[L]-Licenses-Occupational-Fee Payment prohibits payment from institutional funds of employee’s occupational licenses, certificates, and permits that are required by state, county or city agencies. OUS does allow an exception for pesticide licenses required under ORS 634.006 and 634.146.   

WOU abides by OUS’ policy, but also realizes the importance of having skilled, trained employees.  With this in mind, institutional funds may be used for employee training when the training benefits WOU.  However, when training results in the issuance of a license, certification or permit required by an external agency for the employee’s occupation, the cost of the license, certification, or permit should be differentiated from the training expense and paid by the employee. 

When a department feels it would be beneficial for an employee to possess a license, certification, or permit but it is not otherwise required by an external agency for their job, institutional funds can be used to obtain it.  All purchase orders for licenses, certifications, or permits must include the Licenses text clause.  

Memberships and Dues:

Membership fees or dues for governmental and professional organizations must be approved by the President's Staff representative for the department and by the membership representative of the Business Office.  These approvals are obtained electronically through Banner FIS.  Memberships and dues payments should be processed on a Purchase Order and must include the Membership Information text clause. The following basic guidelines should be considered when authorizing memberships:  

  • Does the membership benefit WOU as an institution, as opposed to the individual?
  • Membership in an organization made up of public officials and administrators is generally institution-related and considered a benefit to Western. 
  • Membership in an organization engaged in activities closely related to an individual's employment, and made up of interested persons from government, private, and commercial fields, may be considered a benefit to WOU due to various factors including knowledge gained and publications received. 
  • Institutional membership in the local chamber of commerce is specifically authorized, but memberships in civic organizations, such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, etc., are usually not allowable. 
  • Is the membership institutional rather than individual? 
  • Membership in an association devoted primarily to a profession is usually considered personal and not paid by WOU unless it is a benefit to the institution. 
  • Are there already other memberships in the organization paid by WOU? 
  • When associations charge a full rate for an initial membership and lower rates for associate memberships, duplicate memberships may be paid as long as only one full institutional membership per association is paid. 


Non-Travel Meals and Refreshments Expenses:

Payment of non-travel meals and refreshments is allowed from institutional funds when the expenses: 

• Comply with the definitions and guidelines of OUS Fiscal Policy Manual, Section 56.100, Non-travel Meals, Refreshments and Hospitality Expenses , 

• Are pre-approved on a Non-Travel Meals & Refreshments Pre-Approval Form at least two business days prior to the event, 

• Follow the General and WOU Specific Guidelines below, 

• Do not meet the Restrictions criteria below, and  

• Fit into one of the four categories defined below. 


General Guidelines: 

• Expenses must be documented by a receipt itemizing food, non-alcoholic beverages, alcoholic beverages, and gratuities. 

• Meals are defined as food and beverages provided at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 

• Pizza is considered a meal.  

• Refreshments are defined as non-alcoholic beverages such as coffee, tea, soda, bottled water, juice.  Food items such as fruit, cookies, pastries, chips, and snack bars are considered refreshments when not served as part of a meal.  

• Alcoholic beverages cannot be paid from institutional funds except when they are served at group functions that are part of a university-sponsored conference or event where the full cost of such beverages is recovered through resale or charges to the participants or sponsoring group.   

• Tips/Gratuities up to 15% of food and non-alcoholic beverage charges are allowable when hosting groups or guests.  The 15% limit does not apply when the establishment adds a service charge for larger groups in lieu of gratuity.  Tips or fees for alcoholic beverage service are not allowable.   

• Payment Requests must include a copy of the approved Non-Travel Meals & Refreshments Pre-Approval Form and indicate the following: 

1. Who - names of the individuals attending 

2. What – what is being paid 

3. When – date and times 

4. Where – location of the event 

5. Why – purpose of the event  


This information is required whether paying a vendor directly, requesting a personal reimbursement, or processing an internal transaction from university catering or other food services. If individual names cannot be obtained when hosting a large group gathering, an announcement or agenda can be substituted with explanation and approximate number of attendees. 


WOU Specific Guidelines:  The following institutional specific guidelines apply to all non-travel meals, refreshments and hospitality expenses paid at WOU: 

• Meal allowance is limited to actual expense up to the current instate per diem rate. 

• Must be pre-approved by the appropriate Department Head and the WOU Purchasing Agent via the Non-Travel Meals & Refreshments Pre-Approval Form.  Departments should submit the form to the Business Office at least two business days prior to an event. The Purchasing Agent will notify the department via email on the approval status of the form. 


Restrictions: Non-travel meals and refreshments cannot be paid from institutional funds for the following activities: 

• Alumni, fundraising, and other social (non-business) activities 

• Department social activities such as celebrating holidays, birthdays, etc. 

• Employee meals or refreshments except as defined below 

• Regularly scheduled departmental, staff, faculty, student government or other student group meetings 

• For-credit class refreshments or meals, except when the activity is part of a self-support instructional program where the participant is charged a fee to cover the cost. 


Category #1:  Hosting Non-Employee Guests – Refreshments and Meals 

The University or an employee, in the normal conduct of a program/activity, may serve as host for official guests of the institution paying for their meals and/or refreshments.  These expenses are allowed within the following guidelines: 

• A clear benefit to the university is documented and institutional approval processes are followed.   

• Official guests are not employed by OUS and include, but are not limited to, candidates to fill positions, visiting scientists, dignitaries, guest speakers, prospective students, donors of time, services, information, funds, or property.  

• A maximum of two employee meals may be paid or reimbursed per ‘hosting’ occasion. 

• Cost for an employee’s family member is not normally paid except in the case of a candidate or official guest who is accompanied by a family member.  

Category #2:  Group Functions – Refreshments and Meals 

Refreshments and meals at business-related group functions can be paid with university funds.  Business-related group functions include: 

• Conferences & workshops—Organized training sponsored by the university which includes non-employee.  Generally a registration fee is charged to the attendees. 

• Departmental staff retreat—A staff retreat has a written agenda with a clear business purpose, list of attendees with departmental affiliation, and is held away from the normal work location. 

• Training event—Formal training (dissemination of information) to employees or volunteers and the location is away from the place where the employee normally performs his/her work. 

• Student recruitment and orientation.  

• Recognition events—An event that formally recognizes volunteers or students for a specific accomplishment.  This does not include retirement events/celebrations or other employee recognition. 

• Student Group Activities – ONLY refreshments are allowed.  Meals are not allowed. 

• Official graduation recognition.  

• IFC Budgeted Activity - Group meals specifically budgeted through IFC are allowed within IFC per diem rates.  Maximum allowance is one event per term per club. 

Category #3:  Meals Served at Meetings 

Meals served at planned interdepartmental or inter-institutional meetings can be paid with institutional funds when they comply with ALL of the following:  

• Meeting is defined as an assembly of persons from multiple departments or multiple institutions to discuss business, relate information, or instruct employees, or similar purposes. 

• Meeting has a formal agenda with the meal included as part of the agenda.  The agenda must be submitted with the payment request. 

• An interdepartmental meeting must involve two or more campus departments.  A single department should not schedule meetings for itself through a meal period.  

• The meeting is two hours or more in duration AND starts more than one hour before or ends more than one hour after the mealtime.   

Category #4:  Refreshments Served at Meetings 

Non-alcoholic beverages and refreshments served at planned interdepartmental or inter-institutional meetings can be paid with institutional funds when they comply with ALL of the following: 

• Meeting is defined as an assembly of persons from multiple departments or multiple institutions to discuss business, relate information, or instruct employees, or similar purposes. 

• Meeting has a formal agenda.  The agenda must be submitted with the payment request. 

• An interdepartmental meeting must involve two or more campus departments.  Institutional funds cannot be used to pay for refreshments at meetings involving only one department. 

• Meeting must be two hours or more in duration. 

• There are no convenient refreshment facilities available or using such facilities would excessively disrupt the meeting. 


OfficeMax Office Supplies Purchasing Program 

Expanding on a State of Oregon Department of Administrative Services price agreement with OfficeMax, WOU has established an office supply purchasing program.  The use of OfficeMax is optional.  The program offers low prices, easy ordering, and free delivery direct to campus departments. Rebates are granted for ordering electronically, purchasing in quantity, and paying quickly. 

The accounts payable area of the Business Office maintains the program for the institution.  Departments should request an OfficeMax Update Form from accounts payable to establish a "Consignee and Cost Center” to use the program. Once a department is setup with OfficeMax by Accounts Payable, they order directly from OfficeMax over the web using their online account.  Departments can charge their purchases to their OfficeMax account or to their departmental procurement card.  OfficeMax purchases charged to departmental procurement cards receive a discount from OfficeMax.  For purchases charged to an OfficeMax account, accounts payable will process a Banner FIS invoice that will electronically route through the department for approval.  For purchases charged to a departmental procurement card, see the “Procurement Card (VISA) Program” section below.  

A packing slip will accompany goods when delivered.  Departments should verify that all items are received. Departments should also verify the OfficeMax charge invoice or procurement card amount against the packing slip. If a department has a discrepancy in their order or has items to return, they should contact OfficeMax directly to resolve the issue.   


Personal Funds Reimbursement 

WOU employees may request reimbursement when personal funds are expended for institution-related expenses.  A Personal Funds Reimbursement Form should be processed promptly and all purchasing rules must be followed.  The request must identify the departmental index and account code to charge and must be approved by the department head (a person other than the requestor).  The electronic approval routing to departments will be overridden by the Business Office since the hardcopy of the reimbursement form provides the appropriate departmental approval.  Whenever possible, employees should use the purchase order process or the WOU issued VISA card for purchases. Expenditures from personal funds should be done as a last resort.  Note:  Travel expenses must be reimbursed on a Travel Reimbursement Request, not a Personal Funds Reimbursement. 


Personal funds cannot be used for: 

• Computer hardware or software (see Computer Hardware and Software section above) 

• Tax reportable services (see OUS Fiscal Policy Manual, Section 02.11E – 02.11L)   

• Memberships and Dues 


Personal Services Contracts 

Payments to Independent Contractors on Personal Services Contracts (PSC) must comply with OUS Fiscal Policy Manual Section 13.06-Independent Contractor and OUS Fiscal Policy Manual Section 70.200-Contractor Travel Reimbursements.   Either a Personal/Professional Services Contract for Services of $5,000 and Under or a Personal Professional Services Contract for Services over $5,000 must be completed and fully approved prior to services being provided.  Personal services contracts cannot be entered into with any person who is actively contributing to the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) through employment with any OUS, state, or local government agency.  Such persons must be paid through WOU payroll or an interagency service agreement between WOU and the person’s current employer.  


When a contractor’s travel expenses are to be paid but are not included in the lump-sum contracted amount, detail of what expenses will be covered should be noted on the PSC.  Travel expenses can be paid either 1) to a vendor (hotel, airline, etc) via purchase order and invoice using an appropriate non-taxable non-employee travel account code or 2) to the contractor via a travel reimbursement form indicating that it is associated with a personal services contract and using the 39742-Non-Employee Travel-Taxable account code.   


Petty Cash Funds 

Departments may request through the Business Office to setup a Petty Cash Fund. Purchases that are acceptable through petty cash funds are items low in price; generally less than $50.00.  Any small purchases that are charged to the institution should not be paid through a petty cash fund later.  Whenever possible, departments are encouraged to use the WOU-issued VISA card for purchases not processed on a purchase order. 

Petty cash funds cannot be used for: 

• Travel-related expenses 

• "On campus" purchases (such as Bookstore) 

• Computer hardware or software (see Computer Hardware and Software section above) 

• Tax reportable services (see OUS Fiscal Policy Manual, Section 02.11E – 02.11L)   

• Memberships and dues 

• Registration fees 

• Tuition (at WOU or any other institution) 


A Department must submit a completed Petty Cash Fund Advance form to the Business Office to setup a Petty Cash Fund.  Once the responsible employee receives the fund, that employee must secure and limit access of the funds to selected employees.  The employee who received the petty cash fund may be held personally responsible for said funds depending upon the circumstances if a loss of funds occurs.  Any losses the individual is not held responsible for will be charged to the department.  In the event of termination of the employee responsible for the petty cash fund, the fund must be returned immediately to the Business Office. 

At all times, receipts and cash must equal to the amount of the petty cash funds originally advanced.  When your receipts are approximately 75% of your petty cash fund, or you have receipts more than three weeks old, you should submit the receipts to the Business Office for reimbursement.  Attach the receipts to a completed "Petty Cash Reimbursement" form and send them to the Business Office.  

Small receipts need to be taped to a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper.  More than one receipt may be attached to a sheet of paper, providing all receipts are visible. A purpose for the expenditure must be included with each receipt.  The total of the amounts on the "Petty Cash Reimbursement" form must equal the total receipts. 

The cash on hand should be counted at least once a month to assure that no loss has occurred.  It is advisable to count the cash on hand each time reimbursement of funds is requested.  To assure that expenses are classified in the appropriate fiscal year, a reimbursement should be processed prior to June 30th to replenish the petty cash fund to its full amount.   

The Business Office will issue a check to the responsible employee in their normal daily check run.  The employee may cash the check at the Cashier's Office if they wish.  If the check is more than $200, the employee should contact the Cashier's Office in advance to make arrangements for the check to be cashed. 

Business Office personnel will perform periodic audits of the departmental petty cash funds. 


Price Agreements 

The Department of Administrative Services Purchasing Division and other OUS institutions negotiate price agreements for various commodities with vendors. The cost-savings and contract language of these agreements can be beneficial to WOU.  Departments are encouraged to utilize these agreements for their purchases whenever possible.  The Department of Administrative Services agreements are available online through the Oregon Procurement Information Network (ORPIN).  The Business Office's Purchasing Agent can provide departments with information on available price agreements and on accessing the ORPIN system.  Purchase Orders for purchases involving price agreements must include the Price Agreement Information text clause.   


Prizes and Awards  

Institution funds may not be used to purchase prizes and awards with the following exceptions: 

1. Non-cash prizes and awards are allowed at university-sponsored events where the costs of such prizes/awards are recovered through participant fees. 

2. Non-cash awards for student and non-employee recognition are allowed. 

Agency Funds and Western Foundation funds can be used to purchase prizes and awards without exception.  Prizes and awards purchased with Agency or Institutional funds that cannot be classified as either “WOU-logoed”, a trophy/plaque, or “event-specific memorabilia” must be reported to the Business Office to comply with IRS regulations.  Reporting documentation must include a list of recipients (including SSN and address) and award values.  The Western Foundation is responsible for tracking and reporting prizes and awards purchased from their funds. 




Procurement Card (VISA) Program 

The Western Oregon University Departmental Procurement Card (P-card) is designed to provide authorized faculty and staff with a cost effective and convenient method of procuring small dollar purchases.  As a Western Oregon University employee, you are being authorized to make purchases on behalf of your department.  Along with this authority comes responsibility.  Card users are expected to make sound business decisions in the best interest of the University and always comply with the policies and procedures set forth in this guide, the WOU Purchasing Policy, WOU Code of Ethics, and the OUS Purchasing-Procurement Card Policy. 

Western Oregon University encourages the use of p-cards to facilitate purchasing.  The program was established in order to provide a more rapid turnaround of purchases for low dollar value goods, and to reduce paperwork and handling costs. Departments who have been issued credit cards may initiate transactions in-person, by telephone, or via the Internet, and receive goods within the limits of this procedure.  Payments to vendors are made via the Bank’s Visa settlement system. Accounts Payable makes settlements with the bank. 

Use of card is strictly limited to payments for University business.  Personal charges of any kind are not allowed.  Each designated employee is responsible for the proper use and management of WOU issued p-cards as described in the policy and procedures guide.  WOU reserves the right to revoke card privileges for repeat offenses or abuse of card guidelines. 

To establish a card at WOU, a Western Oregon University Departmental Purchasing Card Agreement must be completed. This agreement must be signed and completed by the Budget Authority/Cardholder the Custodian/Account Manager, and all authorized Buyers. All parties, by their signatures on the Departmental Purchasing Card Agreement, (Attachment 2.1) acknowledge having read the Agreement, understand it, and agree to be bound by its terms and conditions. Once all of the signatures have been obtained, each authorized Buyer must take and pass the p-card test, administered online through the Oregon University System. 

After all individuals have successfully completed the p-card test, the Campus Coordinator/ Program Administrator will request the p-card from the bank  

After the p-card is issued, any additional authorized card users must sign the Agreement and pass the online p-card test. The Campus Coordinator/ Program Administrator must be notified that a new user was added. Similarly, when an authorized user is removed or terminates employment, separation procedures must be followed to ensure that their name is removed from the authorized card user list, and that all parties involved in the program (Custodian/Account Manager, Budget Authority/Cardholder and Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator) are notified on a timely basis. 

Each Buyer will be issued a copy of this procedure.  A person may not become a Buyer unless so authorized in writing by the Custodian/Account Manager and Budget Authority/Cardholder. 

The Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator will maintain all records of credit card requests, limit changes, responsibility changes and lost/stolen/destroyed card information. 


Program Participants Definitions:  

Buyers:  Personnel who have written authorization from the Card Custodian/Account Manager to make purchases on behalf of the department. 

Custodian/Account Manager:  The person responsible for safeguarding (secured in a locked cabinet) the cards of a department, maintaining complete and accurate records of card use, and preparing reconciliations between documents supporting charges on the cards, the statement of charges received from the bank and the FWRPLOG report.  The Card Custodian/Account Manager may be a card user. 

Budget Authority/Cardholder:  The person fiscally responsible for the index to which the card is charged.  Budget Authority/Cardholder cannot be a card user.   

Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator:  The person responsible for P-card management at WOU.  This person is responsible for ensuring that WOU’s procurement card policies are in compliance with OUS Fiscal Policy Manual Section 70.100,  that the policies established by WOU and OUS are adhered to, and that the card procedures are being followed. 


Authorized Credit Card Use 

The departmental procurement card will have the name of the department to which it is issued embossed on it. ONLY persons authorized on the DPC agreement form on file are authorized to use the card.  Departments may not grant students authority to use the card. Buyers may make transactions on behalf of others in their department.  The department to which the card is issued is responsible for all charges made with the card 


Use of the credit card shall be limited to the following conditions: 

• Spending limit will be adhered to. 

• As applicable, Merchant Category Code blocking will be adhered to. 

• Cash advances will not be drawn using the departmental p-card. 


The credit card WILL NOT BE USED for the following: 

• Personal purchases 

• Cash Advances 

• Computer Hardware/Software/Peripherals 

• Telephone calls/monthly service 

• Capital equipment and upgrades (40101, A8011 account codes) 

• Other capital expenditures (401xx, A80xx account codes—with the exception of 40190-Library Purchases which are allowed) 

• Travel 

• Leases (242xx account codes) 

• Dues and Memberships (28901, 28902, 29005 account codes) 

• Employee-Related Tax-Reportable/1099 Expenses (285xx account codes) 

• Purchases involving the following account codes:  

o 20169   Awards and Prizes 

o 28610   Entertainment 

o 28611   Refreshments and food--departmental 

o 28612   Hosting Groups and Guests 

o 28613   Public relations/fundraising 

o 2863x   Non-OUS Participant Support  


The credit card MAY BE USED for the following: 

• Office Supplies  

• Teaching/Research/Laboratory Supplies 

• Housekeeping/Maintenance Supp l ies 

• Computer Supplies (Toner, Removable Disk Media, Flash Memory) 

• Materials for minor repairs 

• Subscriptions 

• Conference/Seminar Registrations (not entertainment) 

• Publications/Reprints/Reference materials 

• Fees and Services (245xx-24999, 251xx account codes) 

• Maintenance and Repairs (235xx account codes) 

• Rentals 

The Custodian/Account Manager and authorized buyers assume liability for the total dollar amount of both authorized and unauthorized purchases plus any administrative fees charged by the bank in connection with card misuse.  The card may also be revoked.  In the event of criminal misuse of the card, the person making the purchases may also be subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal and criminal sanctions. 


Making a Purchase 

Procurement procedures permit the purchase of goods to be made from a "Vendor of Choice".  This implies the possibility of not comparing sources or competition between vendors.  However, it is WOU policy to seek competition and the lowest prices within the parameters of quality and delivery.  All purchases must be made within the WOU Code of Ethics.  Accordingly, whenever making a credit card purchase, Buyers will check as many sources of supply as reasonable to the situation to assure best price and delivery.  Also, where practical, consideration should be given to minority, women, and emerging small businesses (MWESB).  Where appropriate, the Purchasing Department will establish pricing agree ments and identify the preferred suppliers. 

Buyers will use the following checklist when making a purchase: 

  • If vendors furnish standing price quotations or catalog prices on a recurring basis, check that the price listed is current. 
  • Determine if the goods are available, meets the specification and delivery requirements, etc. 
  • Confirm that the vendor agrees to accept VISA. 
  • Direct the vendor to include the following information on the shipping label and packing list: Cardholder's name, telephone number and Complete delivery address. 
  • It is extremely important that documentation concerning all purchases be sent to the buyer ordering the merchandise.  This will ensure that the documents necessary to reconcile the monthly statement are available. 
  • If necessary, advise the individual within your area who receives merchandise of the vendor's name and order number, anticipated delivery date, number of boxes expected, carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.).  Ensure that the buyer is notified when delivery is made. 

Internet purchasing requires additional efforts to safeguard institutional funds.  The following recommendations are a minimum: 

Reputable vendor—Ensure vendor is an established company that can fulfill order.   

• Always obtain the company name.   

• Always obtain a contact name and telephone number.   

• Screen print appropriate information such as product description, pricing, and special conditions. 

Secure site—Ensure the Internet site uses encryption technology to keep financial information safe.  Y ou should be able to find a security logo or statement to the effect that the site is secure. 

Declined transactions—Transactions may be declined by “blocked” merchants, certain classes of merchandise, or for transactions that exceed the dollar limits of a card.  If a cardholder thinks a transaction should not have been declined, they should contact the Program Administrator.  The Administrator will research and discuss the matter with US Bank. 


Purchasing Card Returns 

If an item is not satisfactory, received in error, damaged and/or defective, duplicate order, etc., the buyer should make contact with the vendor to explain the problem and inquire about return policies. Do not accept cash or coupons back from the vendor when an item is returned or credit is due.  

If a supplier does not agree that an error had been made, the Custodian/ Account Manager should process the dispute using the method available through the US Bank website. The Custodian/ Account Manager must notify US Bank.  US Bank will research the disputed charge and make any necessary adjustments.  A disputed charge will remain a part of a card’s account balance until the dispute has been resolved.  Retain all correspondence involving disputes in your Procurement Card file. 


Record Keeping 

Whenever a credit card purchase is made, either over the counter, by telephone, or by internet, documentation will be retained as proof of the purchase. Such documentation will be used to verify the purchases listed on the monthly statement of account.  

When the purchase is made over the counter, the buyer will retain the invoice and "customer copy" of the charge receipt.  The buyer is responsible to check that the vendor lists the quantity, fully describes the item(s), and excludes sales tax, prior to the buyer signing the slip.  

All purchases will be recorded on a "Purchasing Log". The purchasing log tracks expenditure activity and will reconcile to the FWRPLOG Banner report. 

When the goods are received, retain all shipping documentation. 


Payment and Account Distribution of P-Card Charges and Credits 

Payment to US Bank for p-card purchases is remitted centrally by WOU Accounts Payable office.  Individual departments do not make payments directly to US Bank. 

US Bank will feed purchase and credit transactions into Banner daily.  These transactions are loaded into Banner’s FAAINVT form.  Each Custodian/Account Manager will use the FAAINVT form to access their transactions and distribute them to the appropriate accounting elements.  The Custodian/Account Manager and Budget Authority/Cardholder will receive an email when he/she has transactions to distribute.  The distributions should be done as soon as possible.  The Campus Coordinator/ Program Administrator will provide instructions on how to distribute the transactions on the FAAINVT form.  If the amounts are not distributed on a timely basis, the Custodial/Account Manager and Business Manager will receive a warning email, and the cards may be revoked. 


Review of Monthly Statement  

At the end of each billing cycle, the custodian/Account Manager will receive directly from the Bank his/her monthly statement of account that will list the transactions for that period.  If a statement is not received, contact the Campus Coordinator/ Program Administrator by the 5th of the following month. 


Monthly Review and Reconciliation 

The monthly review and reconciliation by the Custodian/Account Manager shall include the  


• All transactions on the bank statement are listed on FWRPLOG. 

• All FWRPLOG transactions exist on the bank statement. 

• All transactions have been distributed on FAAINVT. 

• Supporting documentation exists for all transactions.  Supporting documentation includes original sales documents (packing slip, invoice cash register tape, credit card slip) and any shipping and receiving documentation. 

If a Custodian/Account Manager does not have supporting documentation of a transaction he/she shall attach a completed WOU Procurement Card Missing Receipt Memo. 

Purchases or credits listed on the purchasing log, but not present on the bank statement, should be noted and all supporting documentation RETAINED by the Custodian/Account Manager until the next monthly bank statement is received.  If a purchase or credit does not appear on the statement within 60 days after the date of purchase, the Buyer or Custodian/Account Manager will notify the Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator. 

Once the bank statement is reconciled, the Custodian/Account Manager shall sign a copy of the purchasing log and the FWRPLOG report, attach the bank statement and all supporting 

documentation (neatly attach in FWRPLOG sequence), and forward all to the appropriate Budget Authority/Cardholder for approval.  The Custodian/Account Manager signature/ approval of the FWRPLOG indicates that all buyers listed on the purchasing log were authorized to make those purchases and all purchases were made in accordance with applicable procedures and policies. 

After obtaining the Budget Authority/Cardholder approval, all reconciliation documentation (bank statement, purchasing log copy, FWRPLOG report, and supporting documentation) must be forwarded to the Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator in the Business Office by the 25th of the following month. 

The Campus Coordinator/Program Administrator will review and sign the submitted monthly documentation verifying compliance with current purchasing policies, appropriate signatures and verification of supporting documentation. 


If the reconciliation routine is not adhered to, the credit card may be revoked. The careful matching of complete supporting documentation to FWRPLOG and the bank statement is vital to the success of this program. 


The Custodian/Account Manager shall retain the following in their department file: 

• Original purchasing log 

• Copy of bank statement 

• Copy of signed FWRPLOG 

• Copy of all supporting documents 


Card Security 

It is the Custodian/Account Manager/Buyer’s responsibility to safeguard the credit card and account number to the same degree that he/she would safeguard his/her personal credit information.  All cards should be kept in locked storage when not in use. 

The Custodian/Account Manager/Buyer must not allow anyone not authorized in writing to use his/her account number.  A violation of this trust may result in having his/her card withdrawn and, as appropriate, disciplinary action.  

If the card is lost or stolen the Custodian/Account Manager/Buyer will immediately notify the Bank at 1-800-344-5696.  Outside the United States call 1-701-461-2010. Bank representatives are available 24 hours a day.  Advise the representative that the call is regarding a Visa Purchasing Card. 

The Program Administrator is also to be notified at 88958. 

A new card shall be issued after the reported loss or theft.  A card that is subsequently found after being reported lost shall be cut in half and returned to the Program Administrator. 


Cardholder Separation 

Prior to separation from the University, the Custodian/Account Manager and Budget Authority/Cardholder will notify the Program Administrator at 88958 to arrange for a transfer of purchase authorization.  Buyers who separate from the University will have their written authorization to purchase revoked by the Custodian/Account Manager. 



All Procurement Card Custodians/Account Managers, Buyers, and Budget Authorities/Card Holders are required to pass the OUS Procurement Card Training Quiz.  Contact the Program Administrator for information. 

LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2016



SOURCE:    Previously Referred to as: FA-BO-003
FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)
buying, funds, purchasing policies